28 January 2015

Montréal in Burgundy: Houses

The population of the village of Montréal in Burgundy is only about 180. Most of the houses must be vacation places.


The shutters were closed on many of the houses. We didn't really see many people — half a dozen at the most — up in the old town as we walked around with Callie and took pictures.


Except that Montréal is so clean and spiffed up, it was a place that seemed frozen in time. Car traffic in the old town is restricted to residents only, if I remember correctly.


It was especially pleasant for a long, slow walk because it was sunny the way it had been the day before in Chablis, Tonnerre, and Irancy.


If you are interested in buying a house in Montréal, the one shown above is for sale — À VENDRE. I just found it on a real estate web site. The asking price is 90,000 €. At today's exchange rate, that's 102K US$.


Here's a photo of the house from the web site I found. Three bedrooms, 1 bath, 1 WC, 120 sq. meters (1300 sq. ft.), garage. It's described on the site as ancien (old). It looks like it could use some freshening up inside, as you might expect.

14 comments:

  1. Looks well cared for from your pic.
    90K translates as 68K in Sterling this morning...
    not a bad holiday pad...
    no garden to care for...
    £6,800 per annum over ten years...
    and most of that and other costs could be covered....
    by letting it out when you ain't there.

    Only drawback... nowhere to sit outside in private!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt said the same thing. I wonder if you could put a table out in front of that building that looks like a garage. I keep thinking that one day not long from now I won't want a garden and yard to maintain. But I'm not sure I'd want to leave the Loire Valley for a house in a village without much in the way of shops.

      Delete
  2. "Could use some freshening up." You would make a good real
    estate salesman, Ken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I'm sure I'd make the world's worst salesman.

      Delete
  3. I expect you'd have Bâtiments de France breathing down your neck if you wanted to do anything - to the roof, for example. You must have exactly the right local tiles ... what, the existing tiles aren't the same? Then replace the lot or put a bucket under the leak. Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pauline, I'm sure that roof will last for centuries. If not, tarps over it all will be colorful.

      Delete
  4. Ken - just traveled through most of Burgundy with you - thank you! We're heading there in September for the first time, and these pictures are getting me so excited (not that I wasn't already.:-)) I love Epoisses, but I've only had it a few times - hope to have it near its source in a few months. Your photos are fantastic, btw.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula and Tom, I think you'll like Burgundy. I've only seen a small part of it and I want to go back.

      Delete
  5. OK ... I will live there ... no one has to tell me twice. besos, C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think I'd like to live in a place like that. No yard... But no yard? No garden? I'd have to think about that. I'm conflicted.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad the sun came out for us to walk through Montreal with you. I prefer the first house. I like cozy bedrooms up in the attic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder what that house looks like on the inside. I wish I could go and look around in all of them.

      Delete
  7. Well the exchange rate makes this tempting doesn't it? I could live there easily; thanks for posting this.

    Love the stone floors in the main room, with the beams. Kitchen seems to need the most work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's what I was thinking. Kitchens are pretty easy, actually. As long as the rest of the house is spacious and not too dark, a little decorating goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?