06 March 2014

I ate my greens...

...and that's not all. It was a beautiful day. The sun streamed in through the French doors that lead out onto the terrace. It was my birthday.


After my walk with the dog, I stopped at the vegetable garden and cut myself a couple of dozen kale leaves for my lunch.


I washed the leaves and then sautéed them in olive oil with garlic and a pickled cayenne pepper that we grew last year. A touch of vinegar in the greens perks them up. They stay a little crunchy, but are tender. You feel virtuous eating kale.


It wasn't all we ate, of course. To go with the kale, Walt made me a batch of hushpuppies, which are deep-fried corn bread.


Oh, and there was also a pork roast — we get such good pork here in France. I'll skip talking about that right now. It was a memorable day for my 65th.

9 comments:

  1. Hooray for you for eating kale. And it's always wonderful when it comes from your garden. I'm not growing any curly kale this year, but I have lots of dark green lacinato. And chard--tons o' chard. Kale is a nice counterbalance to hush puppies, I'm sure. Glad you had sun and a lovely birthday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. A belated happy Birthday for yesterday Ken. Sounds like you had a lovely day :-)
    Obviously kale is doing you a power of good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ginny, I have to get some lacinato seeds and grow that variety this year. We grow chard too and like it almost more than spinach. Have you made a chard quiche?

    We are having hushpuppies because our bread lady is on vacation for 10 days.

    Hi N & A, it was a good day. Me and kale must be like Popeye and spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Belated Birthday! Somehow I missed yesterday's post. I put kale right up there with collards and you have to have cornbread with both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up in the South and still have never made Hushpuppies ! I eat them whenever I can but I never learned to make them. I guess this is another reason I have to go back to France .. and visit you :) bises

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belated Birthday Wishes, Ken!
    65 was a very good year for me; I'm hoping it will be an excellent year for you!
    I'd never heard the comparisons that you gave but I certainly enjoyed reading about the brooms, cars and height of the trees!
    Keep smiling, laughing and eating those greens and we'll all celebrate the future together!!!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the living room photo!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?