04 March 2014

A simple and good applesauce cake

I mentioned an applesauce cake a couple of days ago. It's one I made on Saturday, instead of working on putting the kitchen back together. Comfort food, in the best sense of the word. And good food for a Saturday afternoon.

Walt made a lot of applesauce from all the apples we got from the trees in our back yard last fall. It's in the freezer, and in fact he had taken a container of it out Saturday morning, with cake-making in mind. So I sneaked into the empty kitchen and made it while he was occupied with a tennis match on TV.






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 My view of the living room
from outside the French doors
that I close in the morning to
keep the cat in and the dog out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





This is a very simple cake recipe, and I think it's a very delicious cake. It has just enough spice in it, not too much sugar, and just two eggs. Here's the recipe. You can easily vary to spices and sugar to your taste. For versatility — U.S. and U.K. — I'm giving measures in fluid ounces instead of in U.S. cups or grams:

Applesauce Cake

20 fl. oz. all-purpose flour
16 fl. oz. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder or soda
1½ tsp. salt
¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground cloves
½ tsp. allspice
4 fl. oz. vegetable oil (or melted butter)
4 fl. oz. water
12 fl. oz. unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350ºF / 180ºC.

Butter or oil a baking dish or cake pan. (The pan I used was 25 cm x 15 cm.)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl; pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake for 60 minutes or until done when tested by inserting a skewer.

Giving credit where credit is due: here's the U.S. recipe this is based this on. Thanks to Kater and Food.com.

6 comments:

  1. It looks delicious!
    Like an everyday, nothing fancy, perfect with a cup of tea kind of cake.
    For applesauce I presume I could use the tins or jars of apple compote that we always bring back from France. We now prefer the unsweetened kind that is simply apple purée and have it on our porridge or breakfast cereals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a baker, but I might just give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mix it up, put it in a pan, bake it? That's for me! We made and sterilized lots of little jars of apple compote, I think a couple of those will do nicely. P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. stupendous! i'm pining it! yay! thanks Ken! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look yummy and easy :)
    Now... these things always confuse me... when you say something like, "20 fl. oz" of flour, is that telling me not to weigh the flour, but to pour it into a measuring cup that is meant for liquids and marked with ounces?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy, yes, fluid ounces means volume rather than weight. So 20 fl. oz. means 2.5 cups (8+8+4 oz.). The problem is that the 8-oz. cup is an American standard, but not a British one. In the U.K., half a pint is 10 oz., not 8. It's all ridiculously confusing.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?