05 May 2013

Bay leaves, drying

Now that our bay laurel bush is just a shadow of its former self, we have hundreds or thousands of bay leaves strung up to dry and then use in our cooking. I put them in nearly every cooking liquid I can think of — beans, rice, vegetables, soups, stews, and so on.

These are drying in the garage. It's probably too many, but they were free...

I started to dry just these, but then realized I could save even more.

Here are two pictures of the view from the back window. Actually, it's the same picture twice. I've modified the second photo in Photoshop to show what the view will look like by the end of the summer, after the ugly utility pole is taken down and the wires are put underground.

Now you see it...

...and now you don't.

Not only is the bush a shadow of its former self, but it casts a much smaller shadow across the yard.

11 comments:

  1. It looks like it has been snowing in your yard!!
    I like blossom snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The garden looks GREAT!!
    Your dried bay leaves will last you for a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People refer to laurels as "bushes", but I see lots of them that at 30+ feet high, dwarf a lot of trees.
    Best to keep them semi-bonsaied like you've done.
    I can't believe that Walt used to maintain that hedge. No wonder he had neck issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Consider opening a stand at the farmers' market selling dried bay leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, they're putting your utilities underground this summer!? Great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It'll be so nice not to have that utility pole.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly, Anton~ My first thought was selling some at the market in Saint-Aignan! Or, barter with someone else who has more of something that you could use!!!
    What an open view you will shortly have of the vineyard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary and Anton, the reality here with bay leaves as with apples is that everybody has a bush or tree or several, or a neighbor who has same, so there's really not much of a market for the produce...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tim, I really like blossom snow too. Soon the pink blossoms will be all gone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The photoshopped photo makes it seem as though there is nothing else for miles and miles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful corner of the world you live in .... it reminds me a little bit of the Dordogne area I visited a few months ago.
    You have enough bay-leaves to last you a life-time.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?