30 January 2010

A bacon and egg salad

It's made with either escarole (scarole in French) or curly endive (salade frisée) and vinaigrette. Vinaigrette is a tablespoon of Dijon mustard, a tablespoon of wine vinegar, salt and pepper, and about three tablespoons of oil — good olive oil or something more neutral like canola oil.

Start by tossing the lettuce in the vinaigrette and letting it "cook" or wilt down for 10 or 15 minutes. Tough lettuces like scarole and frisée benefit from that wilting. It tenderizes them.

Scarole in vinaigrette with lardons. That almost needs translating...

Meanwhile, fry some smoked pork lardons, or some thick-sliced streaky bacon cut into small pieces. When they are done, add them to the salad and toss it all around again. If there isn't already too much oil in it, a teaspoon or two of the bacon fat is good mixed into the dressing.

Add poached eggs and voilà — salad with bacon and eggs.

Then poach some eggs. Two per person if you are eating the salad as a main course, or one per person if the salad is a starter leading up to a main course in a bigger lunch or dinner. Other types of salad greens you can use are dandelion greens or Belgian endive. And some toasted croutons rubbed with garlic wouldn't be bad either.

8 comments:

  1. Very appetizing salad. Never tried poached eggs with salad. I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is called a salade lyonnaise. It would also be very good made with duck gizzards or chicken livers, for example, instead of bacon. Try it, you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ordering salads in restaurants - it's often quite an adventure for the tastebuds.

    I love making them at home, too. Eggs on salad with warm lardons is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mentioned that poached eggs were better than boiled ones with spinach- I tried it and I'm hooked. Baby spinach is so good cooked and with a poached egg on top.

    I've never thought about the greens "cooking" in the vinaigrette for a while. Will try that. My dad used to make wilted salads, but without an egg.

    Thanks for giving us elegant, but easy recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bacon fat added to a warm salad!

    I never get tired of Friseee aux Lardons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had breakfast yet and this seems delicious. It reminds me of pissenlit with lardons. (I am listening to "les grosses tetes" as I am typing).

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Paris, as you know, they call this Salade Parisienne and they're always more than I can finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't the Salade Parisienne made with chicken breast, ham, and cheese? Like a chef's salad? I think the salad with poached eggs and bacon (and croutons) is a Lyon specialty.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?