14 October 2016

Scènes de la saison

There aren't many apples on the trees around the hamlet and vineyard this year, but there are a few. Maybe I should pick these before they fall and get lost in the high grasses and weeds. That's part of the vineyard in the background, with our house on the right. The harvesting of grapes is ongoing, by the way.


Yesterday was a foretaste of winter. We expected rain, but all we got was a fine mist that turned into a soft drizzle every now and then. This morning it's 10 degrees F warmer than it has been for the past week or so at this hour.


Here's a closer shot of the house seen through the weeds around the pond out back. The image above is a close-up of the plant I was looking through when I took the photo below. You can also see the garden shed and back gate, below.


And finally, tall artichokes. Obviously, we haven't had a lot of wind lately or they would have blown over. All that fluff would have blown away. Those are apple trees and a hazelnut hedge behind them, and then the woods on the north side of the yard.


Yesterday we had teriyaki-glazed parsnips and sausages for lunch. Today it will be chicken creole, using the some of the bell peppers I picked a couple of days ago and some of the tomatoes too. I'm hungry already and it's not even 7 a.m. yet.

8 comments:

  1. Love the first picture with the apples. Your apple trees look so robust.

    I don't think I've ever had parsnips, at least not that I was aware of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parsnips — panais in French — are making a comeback in France. They are one of the légumes oubliés that people are rediscovering. The first time I ever ate parsnips was in England, I think. I don't remember having them when I was growing up.

      Delete
  2. Just like D., I love your first photo. How did you manage to get the backgound almost as crisp as the foreground?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You want me to give away all my secrets? LOL

      Delete
  3. These are all great photos. It's interesting to see everything from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, 7 am and ready for supper :)
    I want to save your photos and use them as my screensaver, especially in a couple of months when it is so hot here.
    As far as I know, I have never tasted a parsnip. You should become a photographer for travel magazines and garden magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like parsnips and rutabagas too.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?