15 July 2016

Dur, dur de rester optimiste

I try to remain upbeat and optimistic, but it's not always easy. This morning is another sad one. Anger-tinged too. There's no way I can clearly express my feelings about the attack in Nice last night. On top of the two horrible Paris attacks last year, the sorrow and rage are overwhelming.


Ce drapeau sera en berne ce matin. Notre joie de vivre aussi. This flag will be flying at half-mast this morning, I'm sure. The photo shows the rue Soufflot, where I worked for several years, decades ago, in happier times. That's the Luxembourg Palace on the other side of the boulevard Saint-Michel in the Latin Quarter.

8 comments:

  1. We can't let this stop us from living. Like the song after the attack in Côte d'Ivoire: Même pas peur!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have friends in Nice and I must say, it was a tense night not hearing from them and knowing if they were fine or not.
    They are fine. They decided to stay home and did not go on their usual evening walk.
    This is so atrocious, so inhuman and as it is so against human nature ( imo) I can only hope that the response to this is strong and severe. That is what it will take to stop this/deter these attacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hard to know what to do to prevent these lone loonies from such destruction....sad & scary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both the USA and France are flying their flags at half mast now. What is going to happen to our countries if we can't make the violence stop? What is the answer? I just know we will go on and find a way somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto. No words to express the outrage and disgust.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am at a loss for words. Prayers for the victims and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So heartbreaking that these things can happen. I try to think of the millions of good people who try, everyday, to put goodness and kindness and joy into the world. But still....Sadder than I can say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good words, Thickethouse. I read on another blog that the words "hold on" are helpful. We'll hold on to each other for a better day.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?