19 January 2016

Snow at La Renaudière


This is a video view from the kitchen window taken late yesterday morning. We had what would probably rate as a minor snow event, but because we haven't seen snow in about three years it felt exciting.



Here are views from some of our windows. The first one shows the scene at about 9 a.m., when Walt and Callie were just getting home from their morning walk. The snow started while they were out there.


An hour or so later, it looked like this view from a back window:


At here's a view out the north-facing living room window:


I went out and walked the dog in the snow yesterday afternoon. We kind of enjoyed it. As I was nearing the house, walking on the road, a little blue car pulled up behind me. It was our Blois neighbors' daughter and her husband. They said they had had a hard time getting up the hill to the hamlet, but they made it. The house you see in the video clip above is the one they will inherit one day.


M and J-P, who are in their mid-50s, asked me if we don't get bored living up here in the wintertime. It's not the first time they've asked. When her parents pass on and they take possession of the house, I don't know what will happen. I'm not sure they can imagine living in such an isolated place after living for many years in Blois, pop. 75,000 or so. Walt and I don't feel isolated here though. We're only 2 miles from the center of Saint-Aignan, after all.


It's not all that cold out, really. This morning the thermometer outdoors on the side of our house reads 1ºC or about 34ºF. Snow close to the house is melting. It's always several degrees colder out in the vineyard, and I'll be going out there for a walk in an hour or two, when the sun comes up. I hope it won't be too slippery.

16 comments:

  1. What did Bertie and Callie make of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't seem to notice. Been there, done that...

      Delete
  2. It was nice watching the snowflakes float down :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here, they were swirling and tumbling down more than floating.

      Delete
  3. It's when you get to an age of being unable to drive and being dependant on others that the isolation kicks in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. In our case, Walt is younger so as I get older he can do the driving. If we both get old, we will consider selling and moving into a town, into a house or apartment with no stairs, or an elevator.

      Delete
  4. Oh my! So lovely! We'll have snow today, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow was pretty yesterday but it was slushy and sloppy this morning. It is slowly melting away.

      Delete
    2. The snow was pretty yesterday but it was slushy and sloppy this morning. It is slowly melting away.

      Delete
  5. I don't like snow. To be honest, I hate it. It looks pretty when I look at it from a window of a warm and cosy room and I don't have to deal with it in any way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. chm, if you really mean it, say it a third time! Otherwise I will doubt you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I deleted CHM's duplicate comment. But I can tell you he really means what he says.

      Delete
  7. I'm enjoying your snow. The video makes it more real. There is magic in snow, especially on a sunny day when it sparkles. LOL CHM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I'd be bored, but, after being a city person all my life (Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco area), it would take some adjustment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For whatever reason, Walt and just settled right in, even after more than 20 years of living in big cities. Maybe we were just tired of the urban existence. I get the impression that these people we know in Blois consider Saint-Aignan to be on the edge of the known world. It's less than 30 miles away...

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?