18 March 2013

The state of the yard and garden

I didn't blog about it yesterday, but on Saturday we were actually able to go out and do some work in the yard and garden. It's good that we did what we did, because yesterday it rained all morning, with a break at noon, and then hard rain fell for most of the afternoon.

By the way, the village-sponsored hike or randonnée pédestre was pretty much rained out. We saw a total of about six hikers walk by. Past events have attracted 10 times that number of participants.

 Tarps over the burn pile will let it dry out some. The garden looks okay, considering...

One thing we did on Saturday was cover our burn pile with tarps, in anticipation of being able to have a fire this week or next. It's supposed to be showery all week, but if the wind turns to the south or at least southwest, we can set fire to the burn pile without worrying about smoke bothering our neighbors. It's asking a lot to hope for just the right wind conditions, without rain, but let's stay optimistic.
This is about as much hedge trimming as I can deal with.

Otherwise, what we did was more of an inspection tour than anything else. Walt picked up a lot of twigs and branches around the yard and put them under the carport-type shelter out front where we keep firewood and kindling. I got out some clippers and hacked off the extra growth on a little section of bay laurel hedge behind our garden shed.

This artichoke plant came up in February and seems not to mind early-morning freezes.

Instead of bringing these potted plants indoors last fall, I just put them under a cold frame outdoors.
When I took the lid off the cold frame, I was surprised how good they all looked.

It's nice to see some signs of spring, as Walt has reported, the wild plum trees in our yard — I planted them a few years ago — and in our absent neighbor's yard, are all in flower. The ornamental cherry tree out by the carport is getting ready to burst into pink blossoms. Sedum plants are growing in a planter box out by the garden shed, and my hens & chicks have survived the winter in a cold frame against the west-facing wall of the house outside the back door.

Callie looking for the moon as she steps out the back door...

These sedum plants grow happily in a planter box out by the garden shed,
despite a cold, damp winter and no cover over them.

When I look at these photos, it makes me happy to live in the country rather than in a city. Even if the ground is still too wet to till — with any luck it will dry out enough for me to prepare a couple of garden plots before I leave for my trip to the U.S. on April 1.

7 comments:

  1. Pretty cool that the cold frame worked so well. A bit less hassle than bringing them all inside, right?

    Any yard photo with Callie in it brings a smile :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Callie was looking for that comet that she heard about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glenn and I will be heading for the States on April 1 as well. We will spend the month of April in Texas, visiting friends and family (and doctors!) I am taking a couple of days to go to Austin with my daughter-in-law to lobby for teachers and schools. Also I teach some classes at a women's job corp program. I wish I were going to NC!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy and Evelyn, Callie is so moon-crazy it's pathetic! She chases the moon like it's a hot-air balloon -- and she's just as crazy for those too. She thinks the morning sun peeking through clouds -- the way it often does here -- is the moon. If she ever does see a comet, well, I just can't predict how she might act.

    Margaret, have good times in Texas. What a different world from this one in France.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at your photos, it's hard to think that anyone would rather live in a city than in the country. Crowds and concrete....not for us !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those potted plants look amazingly healthy. I still prefer the city.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you tease Callie about her fascination with the moon? I wondered what had attracted her attention in your photo.
    The cold frame did it's job - everything looks very fresh and happy.
    Lucky for you that you can burn - here in the city it is now forbidden. I could certainly burn up some of the yard debris around my house if allowed, but I just move it around until it decomposes.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?