24 December 2007

No phone service today

It seems very strange that we have DSL/Internet service and I can get e-mail and post on the blog, but we have no phone service. The phone is dead when you pick it up — no dial tone. It went out sometime yesterday, before about 3:00 p.m., which is when I picked up the phone to make a call.

I don't think the outage is weather-related, but who knows? Our DSL went out a couple of times, each time for two or three minutes, around noon yesterday, but it came back each time. And it still works this morning.

The neighbors' house at sunrise

I thought at first that I might have to drive to town to call the phone company repair service from a phone booth. And then I remembered I have the key to the neighbors' house across the street. I can go use their phone — if it works. They are in Blois right now, celebrating Christmas today with all their children and grandchildren (and a couple of great-grandchildren, actually).

Better get busy on the phone problem. Happy Christmas Eve to all.

* * * * *

Update: I just got back from the neighbors' house. Their phone works fine. I called the phone company's repair line. The agent said a technician would verify and repair my line on Wednesday, December 26. So I won't have service until then. No Christmas calls from me this year. Ma and Joanna, if you're reading this, Merry Christmas. Cheryl and Sue, you too.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, bummer! Maybe you could skype them?

    Merry Christmas to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had the same problem a couple of times recently and also problems with our ADSL connection but France telecom have been working on the phone lines in this area (St. A, Noyer)and thats been the cause of the problem - nothing to do with our line (our neighbours phone was OK!!!) However, they would not admit the fault was theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, Merry Christmas to you.

    And Carol, Merry Christmas to you too. Thanks for the info. We've had phone outages before but I don't remember a time when we had no "tonalité" but still had ADSL service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Christmas Eve, Ken and Merry Christmas too.

    I'm glad your IT connection is still working!
    You could let people call you this year on your cell phone;-)

    It's cold here now and Christmas is in the air. I'll do MOW with Cathy since Charlotte is Canterbury having an English Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ken

    If it is DSL, the problem could be either at the your house or at the central office . At the house the transmission is splitted at the demarcation line or inside the house ( using a splitter) for the voice and the data respectively. Same thing at the central office also ( at the DSLAM). Since the internet (data which is packet) is working then the voice (TDM) signal is not getting through.

    Don't know whether you have only one phone jack in the house or only a telephone and i would check each device and each telephone jack ( I don't know whether it is as easy as we can do it here in NA).

    Anyway merry Xmas and Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ken, I called your mother a minute ago (9:30 am, NC time) to let her know you have no phone just in case she didn't read your blog this morning, but she had and knows about it. She also got my e-mail. Both of you have a very Merry Xmas. It is a little early for the New Year. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyeux Noël!
    from a new reader who greatly enjoys your new and old posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merci, CHM. I hope you will have a merry Christmas too. Thanks for letting MA know what the situation is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those damned double/triple play internet connections! I hope your phone service is up and running asap! I guess that means you're having a Silent Night?

    Happy Holidays!
    Amy H

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?